Obtaining Birth Certificate, Identification, and Social Security Card
Getting all the official documents squared away is a great idea in the early stages of searching for employment. The order of documents is as follows:
- Order your birth certificate first as it the document needed to order and obtain a driver’s license/identification and your social security card
- Next, go to the local DMV to get your original or replacement driver’s license or state identification card
- After obtaining your birth certificate and identification card you can now easily apply for and obtain your Social Security Card
Details on how to obtain these official documents below.Download the Complete Process and Details of Obtaining Official Documents
The most efficient way to order a birth certificate is through Vitalchek.com.
What is needed to order a birth certificate through Vitalchek.com:
- Internet Access on a Computer, not a cellular telephone, simply for better view of the screen and the important details being used and shared during the ordering process
- Name, Date of Birth, Social Security Number
- Parents names, including mother’s maiden name if applicable, are helpful and make the order easier but they are not required
- Money and a valid credit card. $43.00 is often the cost when ordering an Oregon birth certificate through Vitalchek.com
- Some form of picture identification may be required when ordering a birth certificate from certain states. Vitalchek will require the picture I.D. to be scanned and e-mailed or copied and faxed as part of the ordering process for certain states. Sometimes this process requires using a Prison I.D. and having it notarized prior to sending a copy to Vitalchek. Luckily, Nathan Beard Job Development has a Notary Public who can notarize documents for individuals on site if contracted by entities where individuals are incarcerated.
- A solid mailing address where the Birth Certificate can be mailed and received by a trustworthy person
Oregon DMV-Replacement Identification and/or Driver’s License
Remember that you must order and obtain your birth certificate prior to applying for an original or replacement state I.D. or Driver’s license. A list of acceptable documents for proof of identification when applying for an Oregon I.D. or driver’s license can be found at the link below.
The next link below takes you to the fillable .pdf Oregon I.D./Driver’s License application so that you can have it all filled out before setting foot in your local DMV office.
Social Security Card
Printable Social Security Card Application- https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf
What is needed to obtain a Social Security Card:
To apply for an original card, you must supply at least two documents to prove age, identity, and U.S. citizenship or current lawful, work-authorized immigrant status.
To apply for a replacement card, you must provide one document to prove your identity.
Acceptable Documents for proof of age:
- Birth Certificate- in general this is the required document to show proof of age
- Hospital record documenting birth (created at time of birth)
- Religious record established before the age of five showing your age or date of birth
- Final Adoption Decree
Acceptable Documents for proof of identity:
- U.S. Driver’s License
- U.S. Identification Card
- U.S. Passport
Evidence of U.S. Citizenship:
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- U.S. Passport
- Consular Report of Birth
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Certificate of Naturalization